Thursday, September 14, 2017

Homemade Chili


 If you love homemade chili but don't want to be in the kitchen all day, then I have a recipe for you!

This recipe is quick, simple, and delicious!


 After years of making chili without a recipe and just adding whatever I wanted until I thought it was just right... I have finally sat down to write it out.  This is an easy recipe that you can use to mix and match or add to as you'd like.  If you want your chili to have a bit of kick, go ahead and add more spice to it.  If you only have certain beans on hand, no problem.  Substitute whichever beans or can of tomato sauce you like.  If you stick to the basics and mix and match where you need to, you'll be just fine and your chili will taste great!


If I'm going to a potluck or having people over to watch football, I usually double this recipe.  Plus we like to have extra for leftovers.  Soups and chili are actually better the 2nd day, as they tend to absorb even more flavor.


Ingredients

  • 1lb ground beef
  • 1 diced onion
  • 1 minced clove of garlic
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can black beans (rinsed)
  • 1 can garbanzo beans (rinsed)
  • 2 cans kidney beans (rinsed)
  • 2 cans chili beans (do not rinse)
  • 1 large 29 ounce can of tomato sauce
  • 1 cup of water

Instructions

Cook and brown up ground beef with with diced onion and minced garlic. Shut off pan and drain any grease.

Rinse all beans except for the chili beans.

In a large pot or slow cooker, add in all the beans, tomato sauce, and the meat mixture, along with the water, chili powder, cumin and salt.

Cook on low for 8 hours or on high in the slow cooker for 4 hours.


Tips

For maximum flavor, don't leave out the chili beans and cook on low for 8 hours. 

Serve with cheese, sour cream, Frito's, or crackers of your choice.

For a spicier chili, add in a can of tomatoes with green chili's.  You can also add in more Chili powder or cumin to taste




For our family, chili is a staple throughout Fall, Winter and Spring.  When it's cold outside, we look forward to a hot meal at the end of the day.  I love knowing that I can put this in the slow cooker first thing in the morning, and that I don't have to think about dinner again until it's time to set the table.

Feel free to pin or print this recipe.


Enjoy!


XO,

4 comments:

  1. This looks like a "souper" recipe...Sorry! I had to do it. I like my chili with no beans. Call me weird. Fritos go with chili like ice cream and hot fudge. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! I'm going to have to try this! I love making walking tacos so I'll try this recipe next time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Once football season starts in this house... chili season starts. :)

      Delete