Thursday, January 25, 2018

Overcoming the Winter Blues

 I will say that as much as I love the start of the new year, and all that the beginning of January brings... by the time the end of January is upon us, there are some serious winter blues hitting a lot of us.

Here are a few things you can do to keep those blues at bay.


Listen to music

Shut off the news and turn on some fun/uplifting music.  Find something that makes you feel like dancing.  It definitely makes sweeping or mopping those kitchen floors more fun, and I believe that good music can turn your attitude around.


Read a good book

Buy a new book or reread an old favorite from the shelf.  I highly recommend Present Over Perfect, if you are wanting an uplifting, and motivating book.  For entertainments sake, The Mark of the Lion series is really good!


Get some fresh air

Get outside and get some fresh air.  This is one that I need to do a lot more.  It's hard this time of year because the weather is cold, muddy, snowy, etc... but even if it's just for 5 minutes, I think the fresh air does us so much good.


Start a gratitude journal

Start a gratitude journal, and write 3 things everyday that you are thankful for and one good thing that happened that day.  Studies have shown that this helps a lot... and why wouldn't it.  When we start changing our mind set and focusing on all of the things in our lives that we are thankful for, it's bound to make a difference.


Aromatherapy

Get yourself a good diffuser and some quality oils and enjoy some aromatherapy.  I can hook you up here if you want help getting started.  Different scents can make us happy or relaxed.  One of my favorites is the smell of the woods.  I love the smell of trees, and being up in the mountains... which is probably why one of my favorite oils to diffuse is Idaho Balsam Fir.  I love how it smells during Christmas, but honestly, I just love how it smells.  Lemon is another oil that I love, because it makes my house feel clean, and who isn't happy if their house feels clean?


Meet up with a friend

Call a friend up to meet you for coffee or lunch.  Just being with a good friend is not only good for the soul, but sometimes it's motivating talking with someone else about your goals and dreams.

 

Read your Bible

Crack open your Bible, and let God's word speak to you.  He is so faithful to meet you right where you are.  Over the years, I have highlighted so many verses that contain encouragement, so that when I'm down I can just flip through His word looking for anything highlighted.  It's like a balm to my soul to reread those verses.



Take your vitamins

I felt so tired all of last week and when I mentioned it to my sister, she asked if I had been taking my vitamin D.  I hadn't.  I forget about taking it every year until about this time, and every year she has to remind me.  A lot of people become vitamin D deficient this time of year since we aren't seeing the sun nearly enough.  Talk to your physician or pharmacist and see what vitamins you should be taking.



Okay, so none of these ideas are new, but sometimes we just need a reminder... like I did with taking my vitamins.


What do you do, to keep those winter blues at bay?


XO,

7 comments:

  1. I have started listening to music a lot versus the news or talk shows, even AFR. My mind was so weary with all the yayaing and so forth. It's been such a ice reprieve. And, I love my oils and diffuse them everyday throughout the house and at night in our bedroom. I'm in love with Peppermint and Eucalyptus. Great suggestions Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to do a gratitude journal but I have a hard time coming up with something different each day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this Jenny! I am sharing this on my FB page...such simple but timely reminders

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are the same way over here. January is such a difficult month and February is usually the coldest for us. Fresh air always helps us and a change of scenery. I love these tips, Jenny! Sierra~Beautifully Candid

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good reminders, friend! Happy weekend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started a gratitude this year and it's been so good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't done one for a couple of years, but I loved it when I did mine. So glad that it's been good for you! :)

      Delete