Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to the books


Our lazy summer days are about to end!  School starts in 4 days!!!  Eeeek!  We went to Gracie's open house at the school last night.  She got to pick out her locker, meet her teacher and pick out a desk.  I am excited for her as she has moved out of one building at school and into the 5th and 6th grade building. 
 We have gotten most of the school supplies.  We just need to make one more quick trip out of town to get a couple last minute items.  Maybe a "quick trip" isn't the most accurate wording, as the nearest town for clothes and backpacks is 1 1/2 - 2 hours away in any direction.  Makes last minute items, a little more difficult.
 Gracie's supplies
 I have a feeling that 5th grade math is going to start stumping me, as now they have to have a calender.  Are you smarter than a 5th grader???  ;)

Jesse's supplies... he's going into 2nd grade.

Emma's supplies for at home.

 Emma won't start preschool until November, since her teacher is student teaching at an Elementary school until November.   So I'll keep working on some things at home with her during the day to keep her busy and learning.  She barely makes the cut off day for Kindergarten, but we've decided to hold her and have her be the oldest next year instead of the youngest this year.  Her teacher said that she would do fine either way.  So hopefully we're making the right decision.


  While we were school supply shopping, we came across these small little notebooks at Staples for a $1 each.  I was so excited, because these are great for the kids to take to church to keep them quiet and entertained.   We have such a small church and there is a nursery for the little kids, but my kids are all to old for it now, so we make them sit quietly and listen while coloring or doodling.  I think I actually saw my SIL using these for my niece who is a bit younger and I loved the idea, so we've taken the idea and have run with it!

  Lastly, I have just recently bought a couple new books and thought I'd share them.  I ordered 'Empty Promises' by Pete Wilson and just started reading it, but so far it's good.  'The Best of Me' I got at Costco last weekend and really like it so far.  I'm about half way through it.  I think I can predict what will happen, but I'm excited to find out if I'm right or not.  Nicholas Sparks often seems to surprise me with the way he ends his books.  'Brother Andrew' is a book that I just got in the mail yesterday that I have had in my Amazon cart for a while and finally ordered.  It is one that I am planning on reading to the kids.  I peaked through it and it looks to be a fun Christian adventure book.  Hopefully we'll start that this evening.  If we like it, I believe there is a bunch more just like it with different adventures and hero's. 





No comments:

Post a Comment