Wednesday, October 18, 2017

10 Tips For Getting Your Home And Family Ready For Winter


I'm sure many of you aren't thinking of winter yet, but up here in the North, Fall is a short lived season and Winter is already on most of our minds.  There's been snow up in the mountains for the last couple of weeks, and any day we could wake up to it in our yard as well.

With that being said, we've been trying to take advantage of the nice weather we are having and we're trying to get a few things done around here, so we're ready for winter... even if it comes in the Fall.

Here are 10 tips for getting your home and family ready for winter.


Wash Windows

With it being so cold out for the next 7 months, I'll be spending a lot of time inside.  I don't want to be looking out through dirty windows, so I like to have my windows washed on both the inside and out each Fall.  I don't mind washing the inside windows myself, but I pay someone to come wash the outside windows.  You won't find me climbing up a tall ladder unless I absolutely have to.



Stock The Woodpile

For us, it's already cold outside and will be until May.  Having our woodpile ready is so important.



Spray For Spiders And Bugs

With it getting colder outside, I think the bugs want in my house even more.  Bugs and I don't habitat well together, so I had pest control come spray our house again.  I usually have them come every Spring and Fall.



Freshen Up Or Clean Extra Bedding Or Blankets

You may be bringing your flannel sheets out for the season, or maybe you're putting a few more blankets on the bed.  It's probably time to freshen those up or even wash them first.  I know some people don't mind the smell of linen in the closet, but I prefer to have them smelling fresh.



Stock Up On Pantry Staples

I don't mind the snow nearly as much if I can stay inside where it's warm and cozy.  That being said, I don't want to have to run to the grocery store for a can of tomato sauce, or a can of beans.  I like to have my pantry as stocked as I can.  No, it won't be stocked for winter, but if I can stock up on some of those staples, chances are I won't be going to the store nearly as often.



Organize And Clean The Garage

It's time to make sure all the summer toys are stored away, and that you can find your rakes, snow shovels, your sleds and any other Fall or winter item you might need.



Clean Up The Yard


One of my favorite things about getting ready for Winter is looking out into my yard and knowing that if it snows, my yard is ready.  I don't like when the snow surprises us, and all of our yard items are covered in snow. 



Organize Movies, Board Games, And Puzzles


I don't know if you guys are like us, but the movies we watch in the winter are different than the movies we might watch in the summer.  You can pull all your favorites forward and move the other ones to the back.

Board games and puzzles don't get used very often during the warmer months, so if we set our favorite games in a closet nearby, we are more likely to get them out and use them.  As far as puzzles go, we usually put one up the first of Fall and we have one going until the weather gets nice again in the Spring.



Invest In A Couple Of New Books


I love having a couple of good books lying around the house, so when I get a few minutes of quiet time, I can snuggle up and read.  



Outfit Your Family


Whether you want to be out in the snow or not, chances are you will be at some point.  Check your winter gear and make sure you and your family are ready.  Does everyone's boots, coats, snowpants, and such still fit.  It's better to buy these things ahead of time, so when the snow finally comes your way you are ready!




What do you like to do in the Fall to make sure that you are ready for winter?



XO, 

3 comments:

  1. Great list. As soon as I finish with the garage sale in my garage, we have some to do items so we can be all ready for winter. It's coming, isn't it ;)! xoxo ERIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list! We are doing some of these in our house currently. I just want to get things organized and stocked up before the holidays start so that we can relax and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful detailed list! Great tip to stock up pn pantry items if you have the space.

    ReplyDelete