Monday, January 22, 2018

Bible Study Review

Last week I started a new Bible study and I was thinking of you all, and wondering what studies you've done or what studies you've loved.  There are so many different studies and leaders, and it's nice to have an idea of what studies people have liked.  Today I thought I'd share a couple of the studies that I've done, and share my thoughts on a couple of them, in case you are looking for a new study.

We are studying The Armor of God right now.  Priscilla Shirer takes us through 7 sessions, and she reminds us to put on the full armor of God and prepare to fight the spiritual battles we face daily.  Troubles in your marriage, finance troubles, family issues, insecurities... these are all things that we can face when we are being attacked... she shows us how to fight back, using God's word.  We are just starting our second week, but so far we are all really liking it.  This is my first study by Priscilla and I am enjoying her straight to the point approach as well as her humor.



Seamless by Angie Smith, is a great study if you unfamiliar with the Bible, if you want a refresher, or if you're curious how the Bible is all tied together from Genesis to Revelations.  Angie ties it all together in 6 weeks.  I thought she did a great job teaching this study.  I do have to say that Angie has a fun sense of humor, which unfortunately, could be a turn off for some if they are looking at this study.  If you don't think you have a great sense of humor, or if you are easily offended... maybe skip this study?!  But if you think you can handle some humor mixed in with scripture then I'm sure you'll love it.

Angie's blog was the first blog I ever read, years ago, back before she started publishing books and studies.  I then went on to read all of her books, because I just love her and her sweet heart.  All of this to say, I knew that no matter what she wrote, I was going to need to read it.  I love everything she writes.  :)



 I love the story of Ruth.  It's interesting, easy to read, and there's a love story involved.  What's not to like.  I was excited to try a Kelly Minter study, because I heard that they were a bit lighter and not as time consuming.  As much as I think this author was sweet and I liked how easy her writing was to read, I found myself getting annoyed with how much it felt like the study was geared too much towards her insecurities.  I felt with her being a single woman, she focused too much on the love story, and missed other important moments.  For me, the study was a lot more enjoyable the first couple of weeks, and then by the end I was ready to be done.  I am definitely not going to cross Kelly off of my radar just yet, as I would like to try another study that doesn't have a love story in it, to see if I would find that more enjoyable.  If you've done any of Kelly Minter's Bible studies, I would love to know which ones you liked or didn't like.


Children of the Day is a study of 1 & 2 Thessalonians, and is one of my favorite studies.  This was the first study of Beth Moore's that I had ever done, and I loved it.  Being that it was my first study of hers, could attribute partially to why it's one of my favorites... but it is a really good study.  I loved writing out the scripture in the back pages while doing this study, and I love getting to study end time events in the last couple weeks.  I felt like this study wasn't too deep, but had enough to keep you challenged without feeling overwhelmed.


Esther, is another great study of Beth Moore's.  I always prefer to do a study on a book of the Bible, verses just a topical study.  I wasn't sure what all she could share with us on the story of Esther, as it's a fairly easy one to read through... but boy did she deliver.  I learned so much from this study.  I love that she was able to bring so much to the table on this study.


Daniel is the most intense study that I've done so far.  It was probably my top study that I've ever done.  The first half of the study is pretty easy going, and the second half is challenging.  I like some of both, so it was perfect for me.  I know I could do this study a couple of times and keep picking up things that probably didn't stick with me the first time.  This study is definitely a must!


David was another good study.  I didn't care for it as much as some of her other studies, but that's just because I really enjoyed her other studies that much more.   Honestly, the only study that I have done of Beth's that I didn't enjoy, was one called, Sacred Secrets.  I'm sure some people loved it, but again I'd rather study a book out of the Bible, verses a topic.


Okay... so that's a quick list of studies if you are looking for a new Bible study to start this year.  If you can, I'd definitely recommend plugging into a Bible study or starting your own.  It helps you be held more accountable, when you know others are working through the study with you.  But if you can't... that okay.  There's nothing wrong with studying on your own.   Also, you can find a lot of the study videos available on Ebay, which can save you a lot of money.


Okay, now tell me, what is a favorite Bible study that you've done, or a study that you've been wanting to do.


 Be Blessed!

XO,

2 comments:

  1. These are all great, it's been years since I have done a Beth Moore Study. We did Jen Wilkin's James study and we have done a couple of Jenny Allen's studies including Stuck. We also did a Matt Chandler study. I like them all for different reasons. Right now, I am doing a HighQuest study by the Navigators on the purpose of prayer. It's so good and challenging. I normally like book of the Bible studies too but this one really challenges me and has great examples from texts in the Bible! xoxo ERIN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to do a Beth Moore study sometime. I go to a CBS bible study. This is my 3rd year and I really like it. This year we are studying Matthew. My first year was Corinthians and I loved it. We did Ann Voskamp's "1000 Gifts" in Sunday school last year, but it wasn't really for me. Thanks for the reviews. Hope you've had a great day! XO

    ReplyDelete